10 minutes into my 1st time fishing NZ we found a fish feeding in a deep trough. It wasn't the biggest fish, but nonetheless I was fairly excited.
The fish was moving randomly in a 20 ft box feeding on nymphs. I positioned myself below him and started to cast. I couldn't time it right, and when I did manage to get one that looked like it was going to go over his head, he moved to pick off another bug away from the lane he was holding in. I tried about 10 different flies, and spent a good 30 minutes trying to catch the fish and we decided to give up and keep moving onward.
NZ 1: Mitch 0
Shortly after that I decided to jump down a bank and rolled my ankle pretty bad and fell in the water. Not a great intro!!
Working upstream we spotted a few fish feeding on nymphs but they weren't interested in what we we offering.
We didn't come across a fish for 6 bends, then Dave sighted a nice 5lb fish and caught her.
Next fish we found was on a nice bend with a high bank on the left hand side. Dave found a heavy fish actively feeding on nymphs. The guess on the weight of the fish was 10lb's. It was my go and after 10 fly changes again I got him to take. Problem was Dave didn't yell soon enough and I didn't see him take my nymph. My late set spooked the fish and it took off. Surprisingly enough my ankle didn't hurt anymore and I was finally able to breathe again after holding my breath for so long!
Saw a ton of eels today. It is pretty strange seeing a 5 foot eel swimming up right beside you!
Amelia working a fish and Dave helping keep track of it
Grey sky and hard sighting
5lb trout in skinny water



Love how clear the water is!! Just like the video you showed us when you were visiting!!
ReplyDelete